The University of California, Irvine is committed to excellence through diversity and ensuring nondiscrimination in the workplace. Per federal regulations, UCI will take affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status. This page is designed to provide information regarding affirmative action policies and guidelines, definitions and laws, programs, and resources.
POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- UC Policy on Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace
- The Faculty Code of Conduct ( Academic Personnel Manual Section 015 )
- General University Policy Regarding Academic Appointment, Affirmative Action and Nondiscrimination Policy
( Academic Personnel Manual, Section 035 )
It is UCI policy to include a statement that UCI is an EEO/AA employer on all employment advertisements, including web postings, print, or other media. The following statement is required on all academic position announcements and advertisements:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
DEFINITIONS, LAWS & REGULATIONS
- Brief History of Affirmative Action
- Affirmative Action at the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP)
- TItle VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Executive Order 11246
- Executive Order 13672
- Equal Employment Opportunity (U.S. Dept of Labor)
- Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 as amended (VEVRAA)
- Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PLAN
As the University of California, Irvine employs more than 50 people and receives more than $50,000 in federal contracts, it is required to publish a written affirmative action plan. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (OEOD) is the office designated with this responsibility. The UCI Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) is available for review at the OEOD office (103 MSTB).
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PROGRAMS
To assist the University in meeting its goal of excellence through diversity, there are several programs and publications offered by OEOD.
- Academic Affirmative Action Programs
- Diversity Advertising Avenues
- Guidelines For Addressing Race and Gender Equity in Academic Programs in Compliance with Proposition 209 (PDF file)
- Guidelines for Search Committees (PDF file)
- RECRUIT (Academic online applicant tracking system)