|< Previous Page|
As a federal contractor, UCI must take affirmative action to promote the full realization of equal opportunity for women and minorities, and to have a written affirmative action plan.
Underutilization statistics are included in the annual Affirmative Action Plan. Underutilization is defined as having fewer minorities or women in a particular job group than would reasonably be expected by their availability. This analysis is conducted for active career staff and academic staff excluding student titles, temporary lecturers, and postgraduate researchers.
In 2003-04, women were identified as underutilized in five of the 26 career staff job groups, all of the 11 academic divisions, including nine in the tenured/tenure-track faculty ranks, and one of the five campuswide academic job groups. Minorities as a whole were underrepresented in two career staff job groups and four of the academic divisions, including two in the tenured faculty ranks. A more detailed analysis by ethnicity shows the following:
- African Americans were underutilized in 13 career staff job groups and four of the academic divisions, including four in the tenured ranks, and two campuswide academic job groups.
- Hispanics were underutilized in four career staff job groups, three of the academic divisions, including two in the tenured ranks, and one campuswide academic job group.
- Asians/Pacific Islanders were underutilized in two of the academic divisions, including one in the tenured ranks.
- American Indians/Alaskan Natives were underutilized in one career staff job group.
For any area where underutilization has
been identified, a minimum required placement goal is set equal to
the expected availability percentage. Availability is calculated based
on the job areas represented at UCI in the reasonable recruitment area.
The reasonable recruitment area differs based on job title in the career
staff job groups from the local county to the national level. Availability
for all academic positions is based on national statistics. Appendix
D* contains utilization analysis for placement goals set in identified
areas of underutilization by unit. In addition to the statistics reported
in the annual Affirmative Action Plan , the utilization analysis
for career staff job groups by coordinating points has been included.
* Appendix D is available for review in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
|< Previous Page|